Updated: Oct 11
Are you trying to make your way through the death of a loved one? When a loved one dies, it can be devastating, and the feelings can be very powerful. It’s a very difficult process to deal with the loss a loved one. Luckily, there are things you can do that can help you cope.
Use these tips to help you get through this terrible time:
1. Allow a grieving period. Give yourself time to cry and remember your loved one. This can be as short as 15 minutes a day or longer if needed. Allowing yourself time to mourn will help you come to terms with your loss.
2. Create a memory book. Creating a memory book is another useful way to enhance the healing process. You can put pictures of your loved one, memorable papers, small items that remind you of good times together, or cards they sent you in a special photo album or scrapbook.
· Put your memory book together at a time when you are relaxed and not rushed with other obligations.
· Look at it when you need to but avoid becoming obsessed with it. Put it away from time to time so you don’t spend all your time clinging to your memory book.
3. Remove large pictures of your loved one from the main living areas of the home. Having a large picture right in the living area will make it more difficult to carry on with the daily necessities. You can place the picture in a room that is separate from the main living space so that you can still look at it when you want to.
4. Visit a spiritual contact according to your faith. When you’re feeling overwhelmed with feelings of loss, a visit with your spiritual contact will be beneficial. They will allow you to feel that you’re not alone in your struggles.
· You can also reach out to a grief counselor. Grief counselors are experienced in helping people in your situation to cope with their loss. They can work with you individually to find methods that work best for you.
5. Talk with friends. Friends are like angels that can help you to get through your loss. They listen rather than judge. Pick up the phone and call an old friend to talk or schedule a visit.
· You can also use social sites like Facebook to reconnect with friends that have moved or you’ve lost touch with. They will understand that you just need a few moments to talk.
Coping with the loss of the loved one is a difficult process, but using these tips will help you to work through your grief and move forward. Let yourself heal by taking the time you need with your grief, but keep in mind that you’ll need to move on eventually.
In time, it will become easier for you to think about your loved one without experiencing the painful feelings that are so overwhelming at the time of their death.
These are difficult and uncertain times we live in, most us has either lost someone or knows someone who has had loss due to Covid 19, please know you are all in our thoughts and prayers.